Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A tree for all seasons.


The Kerry Landman Memorial Tree  was completed yesterday afternoon.

Jordan Mason and Eric Landman both laboured many days on this fantastic project. A number of their walling friends and family were able to come and help out over the month or so it was being built.
The wall is situated at Island Lake Conservation Area on Hurontario Street South and is open to the public seven days a week. 

The Memorial Forest Trail runs trough part of the conservation area and takes you through the 'Dods and McNair Memorial Forest' where the dry stone tree can be seen on the south side at a high point on the trail.
While people have been encouraged to plant trees in memory of loved ones at this special memorial park , Eric got permission from Dods and McNair and the Credit Valley Conservation Authority to build a dry stone wall in memory of his wife Kerry instead. 


Eric used local rounded granite fieldstones from off the site to represent the leaves.
A lot of them had green moss on them. This green patina added to the effect of the stones looking like foliage.



For more dry stone trees check out  Trees 

Check out Dry Stone Walling Across Canada photo-gallery for more Canadian dry stone features.


34 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to a great Lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So special. What a lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adore this, what a wonderful thing to create <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful. And a bit sad too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful concept and creation. I salute you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beyond beautiful, Eric. I'm sure Kerry's enjoying it from up above.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful workmanship - I wish all walls looked this beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This woman was blessed to be so loved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the most beautiful tree I have ever seen.Now it can't be said that "Önly God can make a tree"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing and beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every stone is placed with the memory of your love..This is very touching for me.. A 'kind' of ceremony too...better than any tomb stone. I would love to try this..

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful! What a creative way to memorialize someone.
    I worked with a trails crew a couple of summers, and was taught how to make dry lay walls, so I can understand how much work went into this. (though my wall building experience is far below being able to create something this complex).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning! What an awesome tribute! Well loved lady!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful work and the story behind it made me cry. What a beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely gorgeous, and a wonderful memorial to a much loved and unique woman. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wish I could have done something like that for my late husband. What a lovely memorial to a much loved wife.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, stoneman, it's just marvelous!
    bravo for this work ans the others
    L.G. of the http://pierreseche.over-blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This made my heart smile. What a special tribute, what a special love.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful and deeply touching. An enduring monument to a love that's as durable as the stones.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow. This is just stunning. I love trees and rocks and this is such a unique fusion of the two. You are so talented. I joking tell people that if I weren't a 51 year old woman with all the strength of a newborn kitten, I'd love to learn stone masonry.

    Linda
    Huntington, West Virginia USA

    ReplyDelete
  22. Are you familiar with the work of Andy Goldsworthy? I not, you might want to check out his website and photographs of the stone work he's done. I think you'll like his work, based on what you've done here. I love what you've done...absolutely stunning! Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  23. We saw this memorial yesterday. It blew me away! A true labour of love. It was a joy to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. great idear! klasse Idee !

    Gerd Ribbeck, Zimmerermeister
    http://zimmerei-holzbau-innenausbau.de

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, this great idea...by Klasse ..very interesting blog....keep sharing more.....

    Increase Youtube Views

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is fantastic. How clever, and such a pleaure to see. Thanks for sharing, Well done indeed

    ReplyDelete
  27. A work deserve for appreciation. Wonderful.

    Patent Lawyer

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow made me cry when I read why you did it you can totally feel the love.thanks for sharing Diane Haggart

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi John, I stumbled across your blog while researching images for a NZ gardening magazine I'm doing on DIY. I found this unbelievable rock wall tree and I love it! So clever! Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  30. this is breathtakingly lovely, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  31. very interesting article, thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete