Monday, July 2, 2012

Roseneath Bridge



We will be building another dry stone bridge near Port Hope, Ontario this August.  It will be the ninth bridge that various members of the DSWAC and guest instructors have built over the nine years that our organization has been running. The project will be run as a workshop/build project and we are looking for 4 people who would like to be involved over the two week of construction to acquire experience in building this kind of structure. The dates of the build are Aug 4th to August 18th.  The two building sessions (week one and week two) will not include the middle weekend. Participants can sign up for both or just one of the weeks. 

Let me know if you are interested.

5 comments:

  1. Hello John,

    I'd like to state that I love the pictures on your site. I've always been fascinated by the dry stone work (it seemed like magic to me at some point). Do you happen to know of good beginner sources that I can use? I'm very much a newbie and would like a push in the right direction.

    I've seen what the Inca have done with nothing but hammerstones, do you happen to know anything about that? How would you use a hammerstone to shape other stones as you see fit?

    Great site, great source of info. Please keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hanks

    There is a very good book put out by the DSWA called Dry Stone Walling Techniques and Traditions

    We give courses too throughout the year here in Canada. Our next one is the bridge course which is posted here and on the DSWAC website.

    I have no idea how the Incas shaped and moved stones. I find it quite incredible and actually pretty intimidating.

    Cheers

    J S-R

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the Inca had tons of manual labor to go around and more time :-) . There is a guy called Vince Lee (google can point you to him and his work), he managed to figure out how they did it. Very fascinating.

    One thing that vexes me more than anything has been the foundation of a stone structure (be it a work of art, a wall, a building or whatever) in a location where you don't have access to the bedrock (primarily because this could take forever to dig that deep down or ordinances prevent you from digging that deep down). How could you build that? I've seen illustration of using big rocks (wide and on a flat surface) laid down on top of small rocks (the technical name for which escapes me at theh moment) for drainage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you could elaborate more on how you built the foundation for the double helix structure or the amphitheater, that would be great. I'd love to see an intro post on your blog about this topic.

    ReplyDelete