Friday, October 21, 2011


The two Aussies who are participating in 
this ten day bridge course , Gavin and Angus 
stand beside the completed section of 
'corrying' on this our third day into the project.

Before we begin the next stage of bridge construction and start the vaulted arch we must prepare an area directly under the bridge in the actual creek (there is very little water  running this time of year) 

We are doing this because at this bridge site the river bed could wash away and undermine the foundations. I have seen this kind of stone 'roadway' below several old arched stone railway bridges in southern Ontario. The stones are laid to form a kind of cobblestone surface. 

In our application a bed is constructed by 'pitching' medium sized stones which have all been found on the property and fitted together in rows perpendicular to the direction of the stream. 

This kind of stone river-bedding Norman tells us is called 'corrying'.
Does anyone know another proper architectural term for this part of a bridge? 

1 comment:

  1. Hi John,
    Ref the use of 'corrying .
    It is probably a corruption of the old Scots word -
    'quarrel' - to pave with square shaped slabs.

    I know of no term for this strengthening under bridges which is not also applicable to everyday paving.

    Nick Aitken