Friday, September 5, 2014

A 'Real' Garden 'Completes' A 'Pretend' Ruin


It's not always clear when you are building a pretend dry stone ruin like this one in Beaverton Ontario when it is actually completed.



I designed this with the client and my crew and I built it about six years ago.


Any well built dry stone folly might take hundreds of years before it's considered 'finished' - that is, actually come to ruin. 

Happily however, after a garden is planted and has grown up and around (and inside the enclosure) there is a definite sense of 'closure'.


4 comments:

  1. A wonderful job John, it looks outstanding. Sadly I imagine some very clever architect will tell a client 100 years from now how to get back to the original building built by European settlers in the 18th century.. A big machine will have to remove the plants first!
    Norman

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you were really serious, you would have ACTUAL gnomes in the real gardens amongst the pretend ruins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful. I love your stone creations. I would love something in stone in my own small urban garden. One day, maybe. Near where I was born (southern Australia) the ground was very stony and the farmers and graziers had many a dry stone wall built. There's an area called The Stony Rises, and though some of those fences are more than a century old, and some are damaged, they're still doing their job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or perhaps a Gnonom
    to indicate the time. Period.
    S.L.

    ReplyDelete