Friday, December 6, 2013

Flaming





Flaming stone with a propane torch is good way to take off the unnaturally smooth looking surface that a saw leaves on a stone, in order to give it a rougher texture.



Sometimes, when you have special stones or doing special fits, you have to make a difficult decision. In this case this limestone slab was one of the last long throughstones I had available but it needed some work done to it. Do I risk shaping it and breaking it with the hammer ? The stone didn't have any kind of face on it and I needed to have a flat face showing flush on one side of the dry stone wall I was building.  So Yes, I got out the noisy dusty evil stone saw.



The problem with saws too is they leave horrible telltale saw marks. It's sometimes 'dodgy' trying to rough up (or 'dress' ) these sawn stones with a hammer and chisel (called a pitcher) if you want to get rid of the saw marks, and yes, you do need to ! 



The solution - bring in the propane torch and like magic the surface of most stones can be roughened up.

1 comment:

  1. It surprises me how little this technique is used. It does require some patience and is best not to be wearing shorts as some of the small shards that pop off in the heating process do manage to gore into the skin. I used this method on a set of stairs I built on an island in Muskoka. It wasn't used so much for removing stone saw cuts I had made but to make the stairs look like they had been walked up for many years. The results were beautiful. I'm glad to see you do this too.

    ReplyDelete