Tuesday, November 29, 2011

On occasion.





I am soberly coming to the realization that doing the right thing and dealing with some of the misconceptions that prevail in the small world of dry stone walling here in Canada will not make a shred of difference to the outcome of a situation if the people who don't know the whole story have already been primed to think you are the bad guy. 


I say this with a degree of pessimism yes, but a kind of freeing insight as to how to go on and not be eaten up by injustices perpetrated by people who must have been on occasion presented with the choice to behave and think otherwise. 


I have posted things on this web site that are, to the best of my ability, the truth about walls and walling. On occasion a few of the posts have been about someone or other who has continuously invested their time saying untrue things about other wallers behind their backs. By contrast, when I write about this problem, I write in public not covertly, and try to make sense of it all in kind of dry stone parables. It should be noted that the person(s) in question were never named or referred to specifically in any posts. Happily their shady antics were usually the stepping stone to some better insight into the way things fit or don't fit together in a dry stone wall.


That others recognized the unsavoury characteristics of the unnamed individuals I wrote about and that the key people even saw themselves, confirms that I have to some extent described them accurately. I take no great delight in exposing them to others but rather hope that their recognition of themselves might be enough to encourage them to seek an amicable resolution with those they find fault with, rather than continue to take delight in conflict.